John H. Terhune House 1810-1820 This house pictured above is a handsome example of early 19th Century domestic frame architecture. It has a simple Greek Revival style entrance porch with Doric posts. Note the eyebrow windows. John H. Terhune inherited the property from Harmen Terhune who most likely built the home.
Litchult Van Riper 1820 This house is of significance since it is one of the least altered early 19th century houses in Upper Saddle River. The out kitchen attached to the house has one end of stone. The house may have been built by Bush, but the first known owner was a Litchult.
Debaun 1820-1830 This house may be the earliest of the DeBaun houses in the area, so many that the area was once known as DeBaun Town. Built by John T. DeBaun, and owned by the DeBauns into the 20th century. John and Isabel were the last DeBauns to live in the house. John was an inventor and patented a race track on a treadmill so the horses were always in front of the grandstand.
Van Buskirk / Penner's / Corn 1820 - 1830 One of five stone houses left in Upper Saddle River, it was the ancestral home of the Van Buskirk family who lived on the property in pre-revolutionary days. For many years it was headquarters for Penner's Lake and Day Camp and housed a tavern/night club.
James DeBaun 1830-1835 The house pictured above was built by a descendent of James DeBaun, who had a 210 acre tract in the early 18th century. Several DeBauns owned houses in this area which once was known as "DeBaun Town" because so much of the family lived here. In more recent times the house was owned by Oliver Parker a local carpenter, the long building in back of the house was his workshop.
Carlough - Nickau 1838 In the 1700s this tract of land was owned by Jacob DeBaun and by 1783 there was a house on it. Later the land was owned by William and Rachael Thurston who in 1838 sold 12.36 acres to David Carlough for $346. John George Carlough inherited the house in 1906, one of his sons was James D. Carlough, Upper Saddle River's first mayor.
Duffy's Distillery 1838 The Post mill on Hillside Avenue began as a saw and turning mill and later produced apple jack or "Jersey lighting," earning the name "Duffy's Distillery." John Duffy ran the mill until 1905, rented it out for a couple of years and then shut it down. The mill pond is still intact and a water wheel (not the original) still turns. In the early 1930's it was converted into a summer home and later was the residence of the Terry family.
Little Zion - Bergen Highlands United Methodist Church 1849In May 1842 Joseph Post deeded land on the West Road to the trustees of the church for $2.00. The present church building was begun about 1849, build mostly by members of the congregation. The cemetery behind the church has a grave of a little girl, Catherine, buried in 1812, it would seem the cemetery is much older than the church building. For many years, John Kroner served as superintendent of the Sunday School, and even filled in as lay preacher when the church had none.
Demarest 1880 Above is one of Bergen County's home in the Queen Anne style, popular in the 1880's and 1890's. The front cylindrical tower with an open third story is particularly noteworthy. Built by Garret Hopper, it was a wedding present for his daughter Mary Christina Hopper and A. Wesley Demarest. The DePuy family bought the house in 1918 and lived there until 1942. In more recent years, it was owned by John Coan who operated a display business called "Nature's Creations" and still later by the Newman family.
Reformed Church Parsonage 1882 This house is significant because of its connection to the Old Stone Church. Church records state: "Elder Youmans (William H. Yeomans) contracted to build parsonage 12/3/1881...insured for $1500 (2/3 its value)."
Herman T. Hopper 1879-1880 Built by a descendant of the earliest settler here: Albert Terhune bought 330 acres from Isaiah Valleau. Herman Terhune Hopper moved into the house, built as a wedding present in 1880. Most of the lumber in the home came from the Terhune-Hopper mill which stood to the east of the house. Herman T. Hopper was the third mayor of Upper Saddle River, serving from 1906-1924, to date, the longest serving mayor of the Borough.
Hopper-Woll 1880 About 1880, Garret Hopper built a farmhouse just north of the Old Stone Church. It was purchased in 1920 by Matthew Well who had come to the US from Luxembourg at age ll. He became president of the Photo Engravers Union (1906 - 1929); Vice President of the AFL (1919 to 1955), and AFL-CIO Vice President (1955-1956) under Samuel Gompers. He purchased the farmhouse as a summer home. His second wife, Celenore, transformed it into a "chateau" to remind her of her birthplace outside of Paris. At one point the outside of the house was painted in several bright colors (Celenore was an artist.) In 1946, they built a second home deep in the woods where Grist Mill Lane is now. It was a unique house with a turret on top where Celenore painted. It was said that Matthew had received death threats and they feared for his safety. That house was torn down when Grist Mill Lane went in, but the chateau still stands.
Himsel Ranch 1948 Harry Himsel wanted to be cowboy. He was tall and handsome and when he first came to Upper Saddle River, many thought he actually was a real cowboy who had come East, or at least a movie star who played a cowboy. In reality, he was a pig farmer. Harry did not like pig farming. After the war, in the late 40's he and his brothers sold the farm to developers and split the proceeds. Harry took his share and bought 11 acres in Upper Saddle River to start the Double H Ranch (HH) - his dream come true. Periodically, the HH Ranch put on rodeos in its arena, complete with grandstand. Professionals competed in bull dodging, steer and calf roping, bronco riding and barrel races. Sheriff Bob Dixon who had a program on CBS TV (Chuck Wagon) come to the rodeos dressed in full regalia. Horses were boarded at the Ranch. Rumor has it that the Lone Ranger kept his "Great Horse Silver" at the ranch and later when Silver passed away he was buried there. Below is a photo of Harry Himself, his horse and a shot of the wild west rodeo in action at the HH Ranch.